5 Ways To Propose To Your Bridesmaids
The other half has asked the question and now it’s your turn!
I’m writing this from a personal perspective. I got married in 2015 and learnt a lot along the way, some things I want to share with you to help you on your merry way. I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did.
When I got engaged the excitement went straight to my head and I blurted out ‘Will you be my bridesmaid?’ to my sister and best friend as soon as I saw them. Obviously they saw it coming. However, afterwards, I wish I’d made the moment more special and sentimental by at least writing them a card and even a bridesmaid gift. It seems an obvious thing to do now, but not at the time. This is why I’m writing this post: don’t get wrapped up in the whirlwind like I did. Your bridesmaids will be your support before and on your big day. They will be there to calm you down, make you laugh, hold up your dress while your pee and plan an outrageous hen party, so show them how much they mean to you right from the start.
I think it’s often different for grooms, it’s a simple question over a drink or even a text but sometimes a fuss needs to be made and asking key members of your wedding party is like a mini proposal to your friends.
To help you get started and the ball rolling, here are a few ways to ask that second most important question - will you be my bridesmaid?
1. Start with a card
A simple ‘Will you be my Bridesmaid?’ card is part A of the proposal plan and luckily for you all, there are some great suppliers on And so to Shop that design and sell these. Perfect, I know! We’ve thought of everything.
2. Oh a little pressie
Secondly, give them a little treat to show just how much you mean to them.
- A personalised candle
- A bottle of bubbly
- A sparkly clutch bag from Threaded - which we’re in love with by the way. They come personalised with their initials.
3. Oh go on, instead of one little treat, put together a box full
- Put together a few of her favourite things. Her favourite sweets, a framed photo, all those little things that will make her smile.
- There are gift boxes available on And so to Shop too!
4. The quirky DIY gift
Get creative with these 3 simple ideas
- Fill a balloon with confetti and a little proposal note. Give it to your bridesmaid with a label saying ‘Pop me’. The message will explode with the confetti. I feel a DIY tutorial coming soon.
- The power of that one photo can sum up your friendship, frame it! ‘I’ve got too many photo frames’ said no one ever!
- A personalised photo album, for those of you who just can’t sum up you and your best friend’s craziness in one shot.
5. Choose your moment
You’ve got your card, present and heartfelt DIY gift, now it’s time to pop the question.
- A spa day never fails for female bonding and you’ll be totally relaxed to ask the question.
- Gin tasting.
- Send something in the post. People always love a surprise delivery!
- Afternoon tea, no one can say no over a Victoria sponge and a good cuppa.
- Stay in. Think of those days you had sleepovers you had as teenagers and talked boys and makeup. Recreate that with a girly night in. Savon Claire does a really cute lip balm making kit, so team it with a pamper sesh, popcorn and a chick flick. So nineties!
- Flower crown making.
So there you have it - a few ideas on how to propose to your bridesmaids. Make it special, momentous and don’t rush it like I did. Share with us your proposal pictures by tagging us on Instagram!